Friday, February 26, 2010

Dr. Seuss

Tuesday is Dr. Seuss's birthday. We are planning on going to a community wide birthday celebration at our library Monday night, so I decided today we would make a Cat in the Hat hat today. I've made these many times with the kiddos that have passed through my classroom, so I modified it a bit for my little guy.



Supplies needed: construction paper, scissors, stapler, and glue stick.

This activity was more parent involved than child involved. I started by folding a piece of red construction paper in half hot dog style and free handing a hat pattern from it. In first grade, I typically gave the kiddos a pattern copied on red construction paper that they cut themselves. I also cut a long band and strips of white construction paper.



Mr. T then glued the strips on the hat. I stapled the band around the back and let him try it on. In my classroom, we always cut two pieces of red paper and stapled it to a band and again at the top for stability. I wish I would have done that here in that it doesn't stand up when he is wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment