Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dental Hygiene Month

As a first grade teacher, we always celebrated dental hygiene month. We would talk about the importance of brushing our teeth and even chew on the little pink tablets. I must admit that it would often make my stomach turn looking at the results from those little pink tablets.

Anyway...Tucker and I created a big toothbrush last week. During this activity, I let him use safety scissors for the first time. I was a little worried, but he did great!



Supplies needed: copy paper, construction paper, glue stick, marker, and scissors.

To begin, I cut the copy paper in half hamburger style and the construction paper in half hot dog style. I then drew lines on the copy paper for him to use as a guide for cutting.



I then showed Mr. T how to hold the scissors and even helped him cut a few inches. Then I turned him loose! He did great for it being his first time. As much as I would have liked him to cut along the black lines, I didn't care if he did or not...I just wanted to him to start getting a feel for cutting.



After cutting the copy paper, Tuck glued it to the construction paper to make his toothbrush. Then he begged to go brush his teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment